Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Election Aftermath

"Few men desire liberty. Most merely hope for a kind master." --Sallust

I've said it for years--most people in the world, especially Americans, would be more than happy to accept slavery, so long as you don't actually use the word. Call it "Universal Employment" or "Life-long security" or some such, and you can sell them on every jot and tittle of the substance--just avoid the bad word "Slavery."

Some folks call 'em "Sheeple." And perhaps they're right. Most people do seem to act like sheep. They don't fight the wolves, even in self defence. They don't even keep running from the wolves. When a wolf chases sheep, the sheep run until one is caught; then they all turn and watch until the wolf is done with the victim. I guess they hope the wolf won't be hungry anymore.

America was a frontier once. Those days are past. It seems that Liberty only exists on the frontier--once the frontier is gone, so is Liberty. The only Liberty remaining on Earth is what is to be had in cyberspace. There seems to be a genetic flaw in humans--when life gets too easy, when there are too many of us around, when we don't have enough real threats around, we go insane, and destroy Liberty.

I can think of only one solution: Space. We've got to get the hell off this planet. Earth has to be just a place to be from. Earth will be the slum of the solar system in short time, if we can get the hell off. We've had the technology since the 1970s--fuck NASA. NASA exists to keep us all OUT of space--to keep us all at the bottom of the gravity and tax-slavery well. And we don't have to colonize the Moon or Mars--although they will be colonized someday. The key is the Belt--the Asteroids. Enough wealth to make everyone on Earth as wealthy as Bill Gates (relatively speaking), plus easy to turn into a personalized planet.

If I ever get out there, I'm opening a bar/bookstore on my asteroid. I reckon it'll actually be a general store of sorts. And all who are independent and honest are welcome. Government Agents of any sort are unwelcome--but I repeat myself.

The meek shall inherit the Earth (a plot, 6ft by 4ft by 6ft). As for me, I'm headed for the stars first chance I get. And I cant wait to shake the Earth-dust from my feet.

No comments: