Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Perhaps a step closer?

I have perfected the use of my home computer in remotely controlling my work computer. Hopefully having demonstrated this, I am one step closer to convincing my boss that he doesn't need me on site--and I could work just as well from home, plus no one would have to see my ugly mug around the office, or listen to me rant, or worry that I might go postal.

Of course, I haven't given up on convincing folks at work they don't need me at all. If I can spin off enough of the job to others, I'll try to convince them to let me take a pay cut and work from home. It'd be worth it to take half my current salary if I could work from home 100% of the job.

Which would be one step closer to heaven--opening a bar somewhere, in which I sit by the fire, drinking Jack Daniels and reading all day long. A quiet bar, with just enough customers to keep me in business, but not so many that I make enough money to attract the attention of the government goons. A small, quiet, intelligent, appreciative bunch of customers, who will mix their own drinks and deposit their money in the till. If I am especially careful in setting up, and get the right location, I can have everything delivered, and I won't even need to own a car. And if I live in the Bar, I can cut my expenses even further--thus needing fewer customers.

Nothing ambitious--no advertising, quiet music, loud enough to understand the lyrics and enjoy; not so loud as to make normal conversation difficult. Comfortable lighting--not bright, not a cave. Comfortable chairs--not hard stools. A stage for occasional musicians--acoustic or otherwise, depending upon my mood. A nice big fireplace at one end. Plenty of book shelves. Irish Coffee, Jack Daniels, and an enclosed grill pad outside for those warm summer nights. Grilling steaks, playing Ray Charles, drinking Jack Daniels, and looking at the stars.

No comments: