Saturday, November 06, 2004

Raining on Parades

Believe it or not, I'm not all doom and gloom. I'm just drawn that way.

I don't intend to do it, but almost every time anyone mentions anything related to government, politics, news, etc. I tend to reply with a rant, essentially saying "No matter how bad you think it is, it's really much worse." The problem is, it's true. Things ARE worse than people know, and ARE going to get much worse.

So what should I talk about?

Sports: Don't follow them. I'm not a spectator by nature, and the only sports I'm interested in participating in are generally solitary efforts.

TV: I don't watch much, and no network shows.

Movies: I'm into a few of them, mostly comedies and the Firefly movie coming out in April of 2005 is at the top of my must see list, but that pretty much exhausts that topic for me.

Music: Well, I don't know any of the new stuff--I listen to classic rock, blues, and a mix of assorted other stuff most people aren't interested in. The new stuff all sounds the same, and all the "artists" pretty much look the same to me.

Books: Well I read all the time! But wait--no one else reads. So I guess that topic is out.

Religion: Well, I can talk about this, but generally it just pisses everyone off--religious types and athiests alike.

Philosophy: Another one I'm good at. Of course, no one else is, or cares.

History: Yet again--I know the topic, no one else does, apart from spouting off whichever myths they've been indoctrinated with in the government schools.

Education: I'm against government schools. Everyone else thinks they're a great idea, and has no interests in facts proving them destructive to the youth of America, and thus our future. So another no go.

The military/war: I was in for 10 years. I know what I'm talking about. If anyone cares enough to bring up the subject, they end up either 1) scared of me and or 2) looking at me like I'm psychotic, not to mention sometimes 3) physically ill and determined to avoid me from then on.

Art: I'm not an artist, but I know what I like. 99% of what is called "Art" is crap. Fuck Monet--his shit should all be burned. This is not a popular topic for people once they get to know me.

Social Justice: This is just a euphemism for politics, so no go.

Economics: I actually know how to do math, and don't take what the government pseudo-economists say as gospel, so I'm not very popular in this topic. I am an Austrian when it comes to economics--and if you don't know what that is, you aren't interested in talking economics with me anyway. If you do know what that is, you're either 1) an Austrian yourself, so we agree and don't have much to discuss; or 2) a non-Austrian Economist, and your greatest efforts will be directed towards drowing me out with your own pseudo-scientific, mystical babblings.

Love/Romance/Sex: I'm a fighter, not a lover. I'm a pretty plain vanilla sort of guy when it comes to love and/or sex. I don't have any particularly unusual fetishes, apart from an attraction to assertive, intelligent, independent, and competent women. I'm too old, too tired, and too proud to spend my spare time out trying to bed anything that moves. Sex is great, but I've found the only women any good at it are the ones I have noted my attraction to above. Cheerleaders piss me off, models look plastic, and women without brains have the same effect on me as fingernails across a chalk board. As far as who everyone else is sleeping with and what they are into, I'm not interested. Call it solipsistic, ego-centric, self-centered, whatever, if you aren't sleeping with me, your sexual interests, partners, practices, fetishes, predilictions, pecadillos, equipment sizes and/or attributes, etc. etc, don't count anyway. My history in these matters is between me and those who were involved with them in the past, and not for discussion with anyone else. Call me unromantic. Fine--I'll even agree. I don't care. So much for that topic.

Drugs: My preferences are for caffeine, a little alcohol, and upon very rare occaisions, perhaps a little tobacco. Anyone else can do whatever the hell they please--the "War on Drugs" has killed more people than drugs have. Topic done.

Foreign Affairs/Policy: See politics and military. End of topic.

Someone try me out on some new topics, please.

No comments: